This recipe is, Vegan – Vegetarian – Paleo – and Gluten Free friendly.
1 Can (400ml) – Coconut Milk, Full Fat
1/4 Cup (35g) – Coconut Sugar
• The trick to cook this caramel within 7 minutes is to use a frying pan and high heat.
• On a high heat, bring the coconut milk and coconut sugar to a boil, then start your 7-minute countdown.
• If necessary, reduce the heat so the coconut milk does not boil over, then increase it to high again.
• Keep an eye on it and stir in circles on the outsides of the frying pan. It’s not necessary to stir continuously but when you get near the end you can start stirring again in slow motions.
• Remove the caramel from the heat and allow it to cool down completely, however keep stirring it in intervals to keep the texture and colour consistent.
• The caramel will thicken more as it cools down.
• When cooled completely, transfer the caramel into a glass jar and refrigerate it. Once refrigerated it will thicken even more.
• Keep the caramel refrigerated and it should last for weeks.
Makes about 1/2 Cup
• For this caramel to cook within 7-minutes you must use a frying pan.
• If the coconut caramel looks too thin at the 7-minute mark, then boil it for another 1-2 minutes, but be careful not to over boil it as the oil separates from the milk and then it becomes an oily mess instead.
• When you want to double the recipe, and cook 2 cans at once, to make 1 Cup of caramel, cooking time will increase to approximately 25 minutes.